Kamwokya Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
Kamwokya Times
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses

Kamwokya Times by Kamwokya Times
August 17, 2026
in News
0 0
0
Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses
Share on FacebookShare on X

Residents of Nsambwe in Mukono Municipality and the neighbouring villages of Ttakajjunge and Kikubakima in Nama Sub-county, Mukono District, remain stranded nearly three weeks after the bridge linking their communities collapsed. The crisis has been compounded by a bitter dispute between Mukono District and Nama Sub-county authorities over who bears responsibility for the road and the structure.

The collapse has severely disrupted transport, education, health services and local businesses. With no alternative route available, residents have resorted to makeshift structures to cross the river. Students and boda-boda riders now risk their lives daily using these temporary crossings.

One rider, Sudayisi Serunjogi, simply said: “Our motorcycles are falling into the water.”

Ssalongo Waswa Kizito, a resident, said a foreigner known as “Papa,” who runs Noah’s Ark children’s home, had maintained the road for the past decade. He claimed technical officials from Mukono District later imposed conditions and demanded money before allowing further work.

When Papa later brought a tractor to resume repairs, he was stopped and taken away without residents being informed. Waswa also alleged that individuals riding motorcycles with red number plates have been threatening anyone attempting to work on the road.

Residents and students who use the route recounted how Papa had kept it passable until district intervention halted the work. They are now appealing to well-wishers for urgent help, saying their lives remain in danger.

Other InterestingArticles

Gov’t Apologises over Mubende Road Accidents

West Nile MPs Demand Actualisation of Budgets, Fulfilment of Pledges

Kitgum Rejects State House Scholarship List Over Selection Concerns

Rwot Mobilises Acholi to Celebrate Gen Otema Awany’s Retirement

MPs Question Viability of YLP, UWEP Over Poor Recovery of Funds

Two Drown in Underground Well While Fixing Water Pump

RDCs Warned Over Indiscipline, Abuse of Office

Security Guard Arrested Over Colleague’s Shooting in Hoima

At a recent Nama Sub-county council meeting, Councillor Solomon Yiga and Mary Mbigidde rejected claims that the sub-county is responsible for the road. They insisted Mukono District has always maintained it and that Papa had been working with district authorities.

The leaders said they are ready to partner with residents and well-wishers on temporary repairs while the rightful authority is identified. Yiga separately noted that when residents approached district authorities after the collapse, they were told responsibility had shifted to the sub-county.

He said the sub-county lacks the resources for major rehabilitation works and is appealing to well-wishers and factories operating in the area to contribute towards restoration. In a phone interview, Deputy Speaker Mulamira Gashegu, said the matter has been referred to the District Chairperson. He stated that the district is seeking 15 million shillings to complete the work and has already negotiated with Papa so that he can resume repairs with assistance from residents.

The prolonged failure has drawn the attention of Minister of State for Local Government Balaam Barugahare Atenyi (also referred to as Balaam Barugahara). Last week he used his X account to call for an investigation into the collapsed bridge. In a subsequent post he said he had taken note of concerns about the structure, which some accounts indicate has been impassable for about two and a half years at the Nakyetinda crossing in Takajunge.

“I will investigate the matter and establish what has happened to the funds, if any were allocated for this bridge, and why it has remained impassable for about 2½ years,” Balaam said.

He added that if an investigation establishes that funds were released, he will pursue the money and seek accountability from those responsible. Where no funding was available, he said he would engage the relevant authorities to ensure the bridge is repaired.

Balaam also says he intends to visit the area and challenged the responsible authorities to act before his arrival. “Let the bridge be repaired before my visit if the responsible authorities can act urgently,” he said. “Our people should not suffer because of negligence or mismanagement.”

Efforts to obtain comment from senior Mukono District officials, including the Chief Administrative Officer, were unsuccessful after several unanswered calls. District Engineer Herbert Lutwama could also not be reached. District Spokesperson Derrick Kaddu Mbojjana said authorities were still trying to locate the engineer for an official response. The district’s position on the reported transfer of responsibility to the sub-county therefore remained unclear by press time.

The controversy goes beyond the immediate condition of the bridge. It highlights gaps in the management of local infrastructure and raises questions about the accountability chain for community facilities. While local governments have different mandates for roads and bridges depending on classification and jurisdiction, residents need clarity on which authority is responsible and where to seek redress when critical infrastructure fails-URN. Give us feedback on this story through our email: kamwokyatimes@gmail.com

Post Views: 21

Read RelatedArticles

Gov’t Apologises over Mubende Road Accidents
News

Gov’t Apologises over Mubende Road Accidents

August 17, 2026
7
West Nile MPs Demand Actualisation of Budgets, Fulfilment of Pledges
News

West Nile MPs Demand Actualisation of Budgets, Fulfilment of Pledges

August 17, 2026
1
Kitgum Rejects State House Scholarship List Over Selection Concerns
News

Kitgum Rejects State House Scholarship List Over Selection Concerns

August 17, 2026
2
Rwot Mobilises Acholi to Celebrate Gen Otema Awany’s Retirement
News

Rwot Mobilises Acholi to Celebrate Gen Otema Awany’s Retirement

August 17, 2026
2
MPs Question Viability of YLP, UWEP Over Poor Recovery of Funds
News

MPs Question Viability of YLP, UWEP Over Poor Recovery of Funds

August 17, 2026
5
News

Two Drown in Underground Well While Fixing Water Pump

August 17, 2026
2

Top Stories

Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses
News

Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses

by Kamwokya Times
August 17, 2026
0
1

Read more

Gov’t Apologises over Mubende Road Accidents

West Nile MPs Demand Actualisation of Budgets, Fulfilment of Pledges

Kitgum Rejects State House Scholarship List Over Selection Concerns

Featured News

Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses
News

Minister Balaam Seeks Answers as Mukono Bridge Collapses

by Kamwokya Times
August 17, 2026
0
1

Read more

Gov’t Apologises over Mubende Road Accidents

West Nile MPs Demand Actualisation of Budgets, Fulfilment of Pledges

Kitgum Rejects State House Scholarship List Over Selection Concerns

Kamwokya Times

Copyrights © 2024 All Rigts Reserved

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact

Copyrights © 2024 All Rigts Reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?