Kamwokya Times
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
Kamwokya Times
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges

Kamwokya Times by Kamwokya Times
August 20, 2026
in News
0 0
0
Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges

Journalist Remmy Asiteza Appearing Before Buganda Road Chief Magistrates Court.

Share on FacebookShare on X

Remmy Asiteza, a journalist with the Daily Express, will spend the next three weeks on remand at Luzira Prison after he was charged with publishing fake news and broadcasting without a licence. Asiteza, 32, was remanded on Thursday by Buganda Road Chief Magistrate Ritah Neumbe Kidasa after spending one week in police custody at Central Police Station in Kampala.

He is expected to return to court on September 9, 2026, when investigations into the case are expected to have progressed. According to the police charge sheet filed by Kampala Metropolitan Police, Asiteza and others, still at large, are accused of publishing a story on the Daily Express website between July 7 and 8, 2026, titled: “Museveni Orders ISO Probe into Billions Swindled Under Assistant RDCs Recruitment Scheme.”

Prosecution alleges that the publication falsely stated that Minister for the Presidency Milly Babalanda was corrupt and involved in a scandal relating to the recruitment of Assistant Resident DistrictCommissioners. Asiteza denied the charges. The first charge was brought under Regulation 110(e) of the Uganda Communications (Licensing) Regulations, Statutory Instrument No. 95 of 2019.

He faces a second charge of broadcasting without a licence, contrary to Section 28(1) and (2) of the Uganda Communications Act. Prosecutors allege that Asiteza and others operated or broadcast through the Daily Express website without a licence issued by the Uganda Communications Commission.

State Attorney Joan Keko told the court that investigations into the matter were still ongoing. Asiteza, a resident of Ntinda Ministers Village in Nakawa Division, Kampala, was subsequently remanded to Luzira Prison. His case is registered as BUG-CO-1200/2026, while the police file is referenced as CPS KLA CRB 921/2026. The case comes amid a series of recent prosecutions involving journalists and online broadcasters over content published on digital platforms and alleged breaches of broadcasting regulations.

On April 1, journalist Arnold Anthony Mukose, attached to Alternative Digitalk, an online television platform, was arraigned in court on charges of broadcasting fake news and sending false distress signals. The prosecution alleges that between January and March 2026, Mukose and others still at large, published information on the Alternative Digital Channel claiming that First Lady Janet Kataha Museveni was dead, a publication the prosecution said caused distress to the First Lady.

Mukose was also among petitioners who successfully challenged several provisions of the Computer Misuse Act, 2022, before the Constitutional Court. Following the ruling, the Attorney General advised security agencies, including police and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, against charging suspects under provisions of the law that had been nullified.

Other InterestingArticles

Police Admit Difficulty Explaining Reappearance of Missing Persons in Custody

Over 70,000 National IDs Remain Uncollected in Kamwenge

Two Children Killed, Three Injured in Kabalagala Stabbing

Why Uganda Airlines Ownership Questions Keep Resurfacing

Otunnu Pitches UN Reform, Conflict Resolution and AI for Global Good

UPDF Recruits 81 Out of Targeted 102 in Kamwenge and Kitagwenda

Namisindwa Leaders, UWA Resolve to Promote Coexistence

Janet Museveni Makes First Public Appearance in Six Months

In February 2026, journalist-turned-TikToker Dean Lubowa Saava was convicted by the Makindye Chief Magistrates Court on charges related to operating an online television broadcasting apparatus without a UCC licence and disobeying lawful orders from the Uganda Communications Commission. Lubowa was sentenced to a combined fine of Shs4 million on the three counts, with a default sentence of six months in prison, following a plea bargain.

He also forfeited 45 pieces of broadcasting equipment seized from the TV10 – Gano Mazima offices and studio in Lungujja, Rubaga Division. On June 24, 2026, the High Court in Kampala further ordered Lubowa to pay Shs100 million in general damages to Deputy Inspector General of Government Anne Twinomugisha Muhairwe after finding that he had defamed her through publications on TikTok.

The court found that statements published by Lubowa falsely portrayed Muhairwe as corrupt, dishonest, and unfit to hold public office. The court also issued a permanent injunction restraining Lubowa and his agents from publishing further defamatory statements about Muhairwe and ordered him to issue a public apology on the same TikTok platform-URN. Give us feedback on this story through our email: kamwokyatimes@gmail.com

Post Views: 19

Read RelatedArticles

Police Admit Difficulty Explaining Reappearance of Missing Persons in Custody
News

Police Admit Difficulty Explaining Reappearance of Missing Persons in Custody

August 20, 2026
11
Over 70,000 National IDs Remain Uncollected in Kamwenge
News

Over 70,000 National IDs Remain Uncollected in Kamwenge

August 20, 2026
6
Two Children Killed, Three Injured in Kabalagala Stabbing
News

Two Children Killed, Three Injured in Kabalagala Stabbing

August 20, 2026
6
Why Uganda Airlines Ownership Questions Keep Resurfacing
News

Why Uganda Airlines Ownership Questions Keep Resurfacing

August 20, 2026
3
Otunnu Pitches UN Reform, Conflict Resolution and AI for Global Good
News

Otunnu Pitches UN Reform, Conflict Resolution and AI for Global Good

August 20, 2026
7
UPDF Recruits 81 Out of Targeted 102 in Kamwenge and Kitagwenda
News

UPDF Recruits 81 Out of Targeted 102 in Kamwenge and Kitagwenda

August 20, 2026
6

Top Stories

Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges
News

Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges

by Kamwokya Times
August 20, 2026
0
4

Read more

Police Admit Difficulty Explaining Reappearance of Missing Persons in Custody

Over 70,000 National IDs Remain Uncollected in Kamwenge

Two Children Killed, Three Injured in Kabalagala Stabbing

Featured News

Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges
News

Daily Express Journalist Remmy Asiteza Remanded Over Fake News Charges

by Kamwokya Times
August 20, 2026
0
4

Read more

Police Admit Difficulty Explaining Reappearance of Missing Persons in Custody

Over 70,000 National IDs Remain Uncollected in Kamwenge

Two Children Killed, Three Injured in Kabalagala Stabbing

Kamwokya Times

Copyrights © 2024 All Rigts Reserved

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Contact

Copyrights © 2024 All Rigts Reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?