The joint multi-agency probe into grand corruption has widened to cover several government offices over alleged misconduct, including at the Electoral Commission and the Judiciary.
A probe reportedly sanctioned by President Museveni into alleged corruption, money laundering, and illicit enrichment within Parliament and other government offices commenced with former Speaker Anita Among. Detectives from the Criminal Investigations Directorate and forensic services, supported by Defence Intelligence and Security operatives, have since searched her properties in Nakasero, Kigo, Ntinda, and Bukedea.
Since Saturday, detectives have focused mainly on former Speaker Anita Among, whose residences were searched and resulted in the seizure of at least six luxury vehicles, including a Rolls-Royce that was one of the triggers for the probe. According to sources close to the investigation, it is far from ending with her as it has now widened to other government agencies where some officials have either received summons or are set to be called in to explain themselves.
Uganda Radio Network has learned that some Electoral Commission staff, including lawyers and commissioners, are among the officials who have been interrogated by investigators at Kibuli CID Headquarters and questioned in closed-door sessions. Reports indicate that the officials have been interrogated on their alleged role in linking with Anita Among during the recently concluded general elections, including claims that they facilitated the disqualification of some candidates to favor her preferred contenders or used irregular methods to secure wins.
“The officials have already appeared before investigators, but many others are still expected to respond to the summons,” a source said on condition of anonymity. Detectives want to review their communication history, recover deleted messages, and take statements on their alleged links to Anita Among. No arrests have been made so far,”
The probe extends beyond Electoral Commission officials. Reports say some judicial officers have also been questioned over the same allegations. At least 10 officials from both the judiciary and the Electoral Commission are currently under investigation.
However, Electoral Commission spokesperson Julius Mucunguzi says he is not aware of any commission officials being implicated in the ongoing joint security probe into corruption, illicit enrichment, and money laundering. “I don’t know about them yet, unless you have their names and contacts, you can call them directly and ask whether they’ve appeared before the Criminal Investigations Directorate to respond to those allegations,” Mucunguzi said.
The investigation has widened beyond Electoral Commission officials. Several Members of Parliament and parliamentary staff have reportedly been summoned to answer questions, though some are said to be avoiding the summons. The summoned MPs and staff were allegedly used to run Anita Among’s businesses, while others appeared in transaction records recovered during phone forensics.
While officials from the Uganda Police Force and Uganda People’s Defence Forces communications departments haven’t issued an official statement on the investigation, CDF Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba this week posted on X that investigators working on Operation End Corruption have recovered funds that will be remitted to the government treasury. “We have already retrieved quite a lot of the people’s money and property,” Muhoozi tweeted. “Everything will be returned to the Treasury. I will give a partial report soon. I advise all government officials to co-operate fully with the security services in order to avoid arrest.”
Investigators are probing alleged financial networks, procurement deals, and coordination among politically connected figures in Parliament and government ministries, using data from confiscated phones to trace communications, financial records, and electronic transactions. The corruption, money laundering, and illicit enrichment probe keeps expanding, with more officials and MPs expected to come under scrutiny. The fallout is already shifting the race to succeed the Speaker of the 12th Parliament-URN. Give us feedback on this story through our email: kamwokyatimes@gmail.com







