By KT Reporter
As the political and election period took centre stage for much of last year and the beginning of this year, many market and street vendors took advantage of the climate to occupy ungazetted spaces along major roads in the city and surrounding towns.
At the height of the campaign season and festive period last year, campaign agents and street preachers often competed for space with vendors who used what some described as a political shield to operate freely on the streets.
However, as the election season subsides, authorities in Arua City have warned of tough measures — including confiscation of goods and prosecution in the City Court — against vendors who fail to vacate the streets by Monday next week.
A month ago, Arua City Clerk David Kyasanku issued a public trade order directing all street vendors who have occupied ungazetted spaces for over six months to leave or face enforcement action.
According to the City Clerk, prolonged street vending has disrupted revenue collection, increased reckless waste disposal, and blocked drainage channels.Meanwhile, outgoing Arua City Mayor Sam Wadri Nyakua said law enforcement will act firmly against those who fail to comply with the directive, noting that vendors had been given sufficient grace period.
However, Herbert Odama, Chairperson of the Arua Market Vendors Association, criticised city authorities for what he termed double standards in managing street vending.Odama argued that the authorities themselves encouraged street vending by collecting revenue from vendors instead of directing them to gazetted markets.
On Saturday, dozens of street vendors in Arua City were seen conducting rush sales ahead of the Sunday grace period deadline.
Harriet Obizu, a food vendor from Ayivu Division who has been operating near the referral hospital, said the six-month period allowed her to earn income to support her children’s school fees.
“I will go back to Onduparaka if they begin to chase us next week and also return when another opportunity comes,” Obizu said in Lugbarati.
Similarly, Saidi Noah, another street vendor, told Uganda Radio Network that vendors are willing to comply but appealed for peaceful enforcement.
“We shall abide by the directive of the City, but we request them to be peaceful while enforcing the order,” he said.
Arua City has designated several gazetted markets for relocation, including Main Market, Onduparaka, Awindiri, and A Carnage — a private market in Ayivu East.
However, the 36-billion-shilling Arua Main Market constructed under the government’s MATIP One programme remains only partially occupied, with vendors citing low customer traffic, particularly to the upper floors of the facility.
-URN. Give us feedback on this story through our email: kamwokyatimes@gmail.com







